This website is for sale, please contact us for more information

John O'shea

John Francis O'Shea (born 30 April 1981) is an Irish people professional Association footballer, who currently plays as a Defender (association football) for Premier League team Sunderland A.F.C. and the Republic of Ireland national football team. John O'shea strength is John O'shea versatility in playing several positions on both the right and left side of the pitch as well as the centre.

Talk John O'shea

Are you a fan of John O'shea or want to know more about him? Then you can discuss John O'shea with other fans on the messageboard here.

John O'shea biography

John Francis O'Shea (born 30 April 1981) is an Irish people professional Association footballer, who currently plays as a Defender (association football) for Premier League team Sunderland A.F.C. and the Republic of Ireland national football team. John O'shea strength is John O'shea versatility in playing several positions on both the right and left side of the pitch as well as the centre.

O'Shea made John O'shea Republic of Ireland debut in 2001 against Croatia national football team and has since gone on to make over 70 appearances for John O'shea country, scoring one goal in 2003 against Australia national football team. John O'shea was part of the team that lost to France in a World Cup play off in 2009 in which an illegal handball by Thierry Henry, which was not seen by officials, led to the winning goal for France, and part of the team that secured qualification for UEFA Euro 2012.

Born in Waterford, O'Shea joined Manchester United F.C. when John O'shea was 17. John O'shea spent loan spells at A.F.C. Bournemouth and Royal Antwerp F.C. before establishing himself in the Manchester United first team, going on to make almost 400 appearances in all competitions over 10 years. O'Shea won five Premier League titles, one FA Cup, three Football League Cups, the 2008 UEFA Champions League Final and the 2008 FIFA Club World Cup Final while at Manchester United. John O'shea joined Sunderland in July 2011.


Club career

Manchester United

Prior to joining the Manchester United academy, O'Shea played for Waterford Bohemians where John O'shea was first spotted by United scouts. John O'shea signed professional forms at the age of 17 and made John O'shea professional debut in 1999 against Aston Villa F.C. at Villa Park, England in a 3–0 Football League Cup defeat.

Following loan spells at A.F.C. Bournemouth and Belgian side Royal Antwerp F.C. John O'shea returned to Manchester and began to feature in the United first team in the 2002–03 Manchester United F.C. season, demonstrating versatility by playing at left-back, right-back, centre-back and central midfield during the successful 2002–03 FA Premier League.

In 2003–04 Manchester United F.C. season, United were without Rio Ferdinand after John O'shea began a suspension for missing a drugs test in January, and O'Shea took over from Ferdinand in central defence, helping United reach the 2004 FA Cup Final where they triumphed 3–0 over Millwall F.C..

John O'shea displayed indifferent form in the 2004–05 Manchester United F.C. season and was linked with a move away from Manchester, with Newcastle United F.C. and Liverpool F.C. being linked with the Irishman. One of the highlights of Manchester United's otherwise slightly disappointing season was the 4–2 away victory against Arsenal F.C., in which O'Shea scored the fourth goal by chipping Arsenal goalkeeper Manuel Almunia from the edge of the 18 yard box.

An injury to Gary Neville in the 2005–06 Manchester United F.C. season also gave O'Shea more first-team opportunities. John O'shea was criticised for John O'shea lacklustre performances that season, and was reportedly one of the players lambasted by United veteran Roy Keane in a controversial interview on the club's Manchester United TV channel.

On 4 February 2007, during league game against Tottenham Hotspur F.C., O'Shea deputised for Edwin van der Sar in goal after van der Sar was taken off the pitch for a broken nose, while Manchester United had already used all three substitutes. During this time John O'shea denied John O'shea Republic of Ireland teammate Robbie Keane a goal with a save a few minutes before full time. Following this incident, United fans chanted "Ireland's number one" in O'Shea's honour.

A month later John O'shea won over many United fans by scoring an injury time winner against Liverpool at Anfield for United in the league, having come on as a substitute for Wayne Rooney. This goal was important in United going on to regain the Premier League trophy for the 2006–07 FA Premier League. John O'shea also rescued John O'shea team against Everton in one of the final games of the season, when John O'shea bundled the ball in the net after Everton F.C. goalkeeper Iain Turner fumbled a Ryan Giggs corner. United went on to win 4–2. This was perhaps an even more decisive goal, as Bolton Wanderers F.C. were drawing with Chelsea F.C. at the same time and defeat would have let Chelsea back into the title race. John O'shea scored another goal from close range, in a 2–1 defeat away to Portsmouth F.C. that season, this goal came during an injury hit part of the season, were O'Shea, as a versatile player, was required to play at full back. O'Shea had a shooting accuracy of 100% and scored with 80% of John O'shea shots in the 2006–07 Manchester United F.C. season.

During the 2007–08 Manchester United F.C. season, Manchester United used O'Shea as an emergency striker due to injury problems. John O'shea use as a striker gave John O'shea the distinction of having played in every position for Manchester United. In November 2007, O'Shea extended John O'shea contract at Manchester United, to keep John O'shea at the club until 2012. Throughout the 2007–08 season, O'Shea came off the bench several times and proved important as a utility player on the way to a Double (association football). O'Shea captained John O'shea club for the first time, during a 2–0 home defeat to Coventry City F.C. in the Football League Cup Fourth Round.

Throughout the 2008–09 Manchester United F.C. season, O'Shea became a regular within the team, deputising at right back because of injuries to Gary Neville and Wes Brown. On 20 January 2009, O'Shea scored John O'shea first goal of the season against Derby County F.C. in the 2nd leg of the Carling Cup semi-final. O'Shea then started the 2009 Football League Cup Final, before being replaced by Nemanja Vidić on 76 minutes, United won the game 4–1 on Penalty shootout (association football). On 29 April 2009, O'Shea scored the only goal of the game in the first leg of the Champions League semi-final against Arsenal F.C., this set United up to go on and win in the second leg by 4–1 on Aggregate score. O'Shea started and played the full 90 minutes in the 2009 UEFA Champions League Final 2–0 loss to FC Barcelona, and by many accounts was one of United's better performers on the night. Alex Ferguson had promised O'Shea, who was an unused substitute in the 2008 UEFA Champions League Final, a starting place in the 2009 final for John O'shea contribution to the team that season.

O'Shea captained United for the second time against Birmingham City F.C. in their first game of the 2009–10 Premier League season. John O'shea celebrated John O'shea 350th appearance fittingly by scoring John O'shea first league goal in over two years against Stoke City F.C. on 29 September 2009, firing a header in a 2–0 win.


On 7 July 2011, O'Shea signed a four-year contract with Sunderland A.F.C., managed by former Manchester United captain Steve Bruce, who paid Manchester United an undisclosed fee for O'Shea. In John O'shea first appearance for Sunderland, a friendly against Arminia Bielefeld, O'Shea picked up a hamstring injury, ruling John O'shea out for the rest of pre-season and the start of the 2011-12 campaign. O'Shea made John O'shea first competitive appearance for Sunderland on 27 August 2011 in a goalless draw against Swansea.

International career

O'Shea earned John O'shea first senior cap (football) for the Republic of Ireland national football team on 15 August 2001, when John O'shea came on as an 84th minute substitute at home to Croatia national football team. John O'shea debut ended in disappointment, however, when John O'shea gave away a penalty in injury time, which resulted in Ireland conceding their lead, and the game ending 2–2. John O'shea versatility has earned John O'shea a place in the starting eleven. Although played in various positions during last few qualifying campaigns, John O'shea has made the defensive slot John O'shea own, mainly in central defence with Richard Dunne and at right back on occasion or filling in for injured players. On 19 August 2003, O'Shea scored John O'shea first international goal as John O'shea netted Ireland's first in a 2–1 victory over Australia national football team.

During the 2010 FIFA World Cup qualification (UEFA), O'Shea was ever present in the starting line-up for eight of the 10 games. On 1 April 2009, in the game against Italy national football team, John O'shea was elbowed in the forehead by Giampaolo Pazzini, who earned the record for the fastest sending off in Italian football history. After receiving treatment for the bleeding, O'Shea continued playing all 90 minutes.

International goal

Personal life

O'Shea married long term partner Yvonne Manning, 27, in the small surrounds of the Lady Chapel in Maynooth, County Kildare, Ireland on 8 June 2010. In 2008, John O'shea spoke of John O'shea years of enduring taunts from fans of rival football teams about John O'shea sexuality. John O'shea said, "I've been gay for about five years, according to them. The Manchester City F.C. fans think I'm gay. It's ridiculous." John O'shea added, "it's just a bit of banter really. I just brush it off. It doesn't annoy me. I'm always ready for the sing-song when we play City."


© The Global Football Database ( 2004-2011. All rights reserved. Arco Iris Media Aps. Akvarie Forum