This website is for sale, please contact us for more information

Harry Kewell

Harold "Harry" Kewell (born 22 September 1978) is an Australian professional Association football Midfielder (association football) who plays for Melbourne Victory in the A-League. Internationally Harry Kewell has received 55 Cap (sport), and scored 16 goals, while playing for the Australia national association football team. An exceptional dribbler on the Midfielder Winger, also capable of playing as an attacking midfielder and as a Striker Second striker, Harry Kewell is often regarded within the media as "Australia's finest football export", despite Harry Kewell career being blighted with injury.

Talk Harry Kewell

Are you a fan of Harry Kewell or want to know more about him? Then you can discuss Harry Kewell with other fans on the messageboard here.

Harry Kewell biography

Harold "Harry" Kewell (born 22 September 1978) is an Australian professional Association football Midfielder (association football) who plays for Melbourne Victory in the A-League. Internationally Harry Kewell has received 55 Cap (sport), and scored 16 goals, while playing for the Australia national association football team. An exceptional dribbler on the Midfielder Winger, also capable of playing as an attacking midfielder and as a Striker Second striker, Harry Kewell is often regarded within the media as "Australia's finest football export", despite Harry Kewell career being blighted with injury.

Kewell scored a goal against Croatia national football team which took Australia through to the knockout stages of the 2006 FIFA World Cup, the Australian national team's second FIFA World Cup. Harry Kewell is a member of the Executive Committee of the Australian Professional Footballers' Association. Kewell also has a United Kingdom passport through Harry Kewell father's heritage. Former Middlesbrough F.C midfielder-turned pundit Robbie Mustoe named Kewell as one of the greatest players Harry Kewell had played against but questioned Harry Kewell consistency after Harry Kewell initial injuries. Former Germany national football team Michael Ballack has also highlighted Kewell's ability and inconsistency.


Kewell received Harry Kewell early schooling at Smithfield Public School and secondary schooling at St. Johns Park High School before transferring to Westfields Sports High School. During Harry Kewell time at Westfields Sports High School, Kewell played at representative level for both school and club competitions. Harry Kewell played in the New South Wales Youth League representing the under-13 to under-15 Marconi Stallions teams, coached by Stephen Treloar, while also attending other specialised training with the NSW Junior Soccer Academy, coached by David Lee.

Early career (1993)

At the age of 14, Kewell travelled to Thailand, Italy and England with the successful Marconi under-14 team that had recently won the state titles. The team played games against the junior team of A.C. Milan (Sporting Milano), as well as apprenticeship sides in England. This was the first time Kewell had been out of the country but provided Harry Kewell Harry Kewell first taste of football in Europe, having also attended a Premier League match for the first time as a spectator. At the age of 15, Kewell was offered the opportunity to travel back to England and trial with FA Premier League football club Leeds United F.C. for a period of four weeks as part of the Big Brother Movement in Australia. Kewell travelled to England with Harry Kewell future Australia national association football team team-mate Brett Emerton. Both were successful during their trials at Leeds; however, only Kewell was able to take up the club's offer due to Harry Kewell father's English heritage, which satisfied the visa requirements.

Leeds United (1995–2003)

Kewell made Harry Kewell Leeds United debut as an 18-year-old on 30 March 1996 in a 1–0 home defeat by Middlesbrough F.C.. Around that time Harry Kewell was flatmates with Leeds goalkeeper, Nicky Byrne, who would later become a member of boyband Westlife. Kewell made Harry Kewell senior international debut in April 1996 in a 3–0 defeat by Chile national football team. The first goal Harry Kewell scored for Leeds came some time later, in October 1997, in a 3–1 Football League Cup victory over Stoke City F.C..

Harry Kewell was sent off in the Leeds United-Galatasaray UEFA Cup 1999-00 semi-final match. Playing mostly in a left midfield role and in attack, Kewell became one of Leeds' young stars in a troop of highly promising youngsters, eventually playing alongside fellow Australian Mark Viduka.

In the 1999-00 season, on the back of Harry Kewell most successful season at Leeds where Harry Kewell also won PFA Young Player of the Year was selected in the PFA Team of the Year, Italian giants, F.C. Internazionale Milano, had unsuccessfully bid £25m for Kewell but Leeds rejected the offer citing Harry Kewell value to their side. The high point of this period was when the duo helped Leeds to the semi-final of the UEFA Champions League in 2000–01 UEFA Champions League. However, the club began to suffer financial difficulties and, by 2002-03 in English football, having sold many of their best players, Kewell and Viduka's efforts in front of goal merely delayed Leeds' slide from being relegated from the Premiership. Kewell's efforts at Leeds United gained Harry Kewell international recognition for Harry Kewell talents. Harry Kewell scored 45 goals in over 180 appearances for Leeds over eight years.

Kewell left Leeds under acrimonious circumstances. In an interview given to the BBC shortly before Harry Kewell move to Liverpool F.C., Kewell lashed out against the staff at the club, stating that the medical staff worsened Harry Kewell injuries and that Harry Kewell teammates had ostracized him.

Liverpool FC (2003–2008)

Having rejected more financially enticing offers from A.C. Milan, Arsenal F.C Kewell moved to Liverpool for the start of the 2003–04 FA Premier League. Kewell was handed the famous No. 7 shirt, surrendered by Vladimír Šmicer. The shirt is iconic to Liverpool Football Club having been sported by appearance record holder Ian Callaghan, Kevin Keegan and current manager Kenny Dalglish.

Kewell's transfer was highly controversial because it was alleged by former England national football team captain, Gary Lineker, in an article in July 2003 that a significant portion (£2,000,000 of the £5,000,000) went to Kewell's unregistered agent, Bernie Mandic to ensure that Harry Kewell ended up at Anfield. In a related matter, Kewell sued Lineker in 2005 for defamation of character, but, with the jury unable to agree on a verdict, the parties had to settle out of court.

Harry Kewell made Harry Kewell debut for Liverpool in the opening game of the 2003–04 English Premier League season, a 2–1 home loss to Chelsea F.C on 17 August 2003.. Kewell scored Harry Kewell first ever goal for Liverpool in a 3-0 away win over greatest rivals Everton F.C in the Merseyside derby with a great first time strike. Harry Kewell second goal came the next week in a 3-1 away win over Blackburn Rovers F.C Harry Kewell next goal came in a 2-1 home loss to that season's eventuall Champions Arsenal F.C Harry Kewell next goal came in a 2-1 home loss to big rivals Manchester United. Harry Kewell scored Harry Kewell next goal in a 3-1 home win over Birmingham City F.C Harry Kewell next goal came in a 2-1 away loss against Tottenham Hotspur F.C Kewell's next goal was a very memorable one, where Harry Kewell returned to Elland Road and scored a wonderfull goal against former club Leeds United F.C Harry completed Harry Kewell first season at Anfield equal second with Emile Heskey by scoring 7 goals, 9 behind Michael Owen as Liverpool's top goalscorer for the 2003-04 Premier League season. Harry also finished as Liverpool's top scorer in the UEFA Cup, scoring goals against Olimpija Ljubljana, FC Steaua Bucureşti and PFC Levski Sofia which ended Kewell's season total of 10 goals. Kewell kicked off Harry Kewell 2004-05 season very poor, not scoring a goal in Harry Kewell first 14 games, even though Harry Kewell had injury problems and finally scored Harry Kewell first goal in round 15 in the Premier League in a 1-1 away draw against Aston Villa F.C. That was Kewell's only goal of the season in the Premier League and overall, it was one of Harry Kewell worst seasons ever. Kewell started and played in the 2005 Football League Cup Final and the 2005 UEFA Champions League Final.

On 25 May 2005, Kewell became the only Australian-born player (Craig Johnston was born in South Africa) to win the UEFA Champions League, playing in 2005 UEFA Champions League Final on penalties. Kewell was controversially selected by manager Rafael Benítez ahead of the defensive midfielder Dietmar Hamann, signaling the club's intent to attack from the outset. The gamble proved unsuccessful, and an injured Kewell was substituted early in the first half with a torn adductor muscle. Liverpool were losing 1–0 at the time and Kewell was infamously booed off the pitch by Liverpool fans with many suggesting Harry Kewell had faked the injury.
It also emerged during the summer of 2005 that Kewell had been playing throughout the season with an undiagnosed sports hernia, also known as 'Gilmore's groin.'

In November 2005, after recovering from the injury sustained during the final, Kewell spoke to the official Liverpool FC website, saying that Harry Kewell had a strong desire to repay Harry Kewell manager Rafael Benítez for showing confidence in Harry Kewell by fielding Harry Kewell in the Champions League Final. Harry Kewell also thanked Harry Kewell wife and friends for the support shown to Harry Kewell while Harry Kewell recovered from injury. Harry Kewell was also the only scorer when Liverpool beat Manchester City F.C. 1–0 at Anfield and scored the last goal in a 3–1 win over Merseyside derby Everton F.C. just under a month later in one of Harry Kewell best displays of the season. Kewell was also one of Liverpool's best performers in the FA Cup semi-final win over Chelsea which Liverpool won 2–1.

Kewell played in the 2006 FA Cup Final, only to be substituted in the 48th minute due to abdominal pains (the supporters reaction this time was more sympathetic compared to the previous year's Champions League final). It was later confirmed by Liverpool that Harry Kewell had torn a groin muscle, but was expected to be fit for the 2006 FIFA World Cup.

On 30 April 2007, Kewell made Harry Kewell comeback after almost a year out of club football. Harry Kewell came on as a 55th minute substitute for Liverpool F.C. Reserves and Academy in a 'mini-derby' against Everton F.C. Reserves and Academy. On 5 May 2007, Harry Kewell came on as a substitute in the second half of Liverpool's match against Fulham F.C. at Craven Cottage, having not played for Liverpool since Harry Kewell substitution in the 2006 FA Cup Final. On 13 May 2007, Kewell came on as a substitute in the second half against Charlton Athletic F.C. in the last game of the Premiership where Harry Kewell scored Harry Kewell last ever goal for the club.. Speculation on whether Harry Kewell was to be selected in Liverpool's 2007 UEFA Champions League Final in Athens rapidly became positive for Kewell after providing an excellent game against Charlton. Kewell provided a cross in for Dirk Kuyt to assist towards a Xabi Alonso goal and then scored a penalty on the 90th minute.

Kewell was injured for the start of the 2007–08 Premier League, and Harry Kewell faced an uncertain future at Liverpool having suffered yet another injury, which sidelined Harry Kewell for the first month of the Premier League season. Kewell returned as a substitute in Liverpool's League Cup victory over Cardiff City F.C. on 31 October, coming on in the 71st minute. Harry Kewell then came on as a substitute in the Premier League and UEFA Champions League against Blackburn Rovers F.C. and Beşiktaş J.K. respectively. After Harry Kewell return, Liverpool manager Rafael Benítez stated on the club's website and to other members of the media that a new contract for Kewell to continue Harry Kewell career at Anfield was not out of the question. Many believed that if Kewell could stay injury free until the season's end Harry Kewell would be offered the chance to remain with the club.

Kewell found himself unable to make the team after Liverpool's FA Cup defeat to Barnsley F.C.. Benítez revealed that Kewell was in extra training with the reserves in a bid to win a new contract. Harry Kewell chances of a new contract were hindered however, when seeking games and match fitness, Harry Kewell traveled with Harry Kewell national team to play in a game against Singapore national football team. Kewell returned to England with a groin strain, unfortunately leaving less time to prove himself worthy of a new deal. Harry Kewell first goal of the 2007–08 season was for the Liverpool reserve team in their 2–0 win over rivals Manchester United F.C. Reserves and Academy. Because of injuries, Harry Kewell future at Liverpool was uncertain. In May 2008, it was revealed Kewell had turned down a new contract at Liverpool.


2008–09 season

Kewell made Harry Kewell debut for Galatasaray in the Turkish Super Cup where Harry Kewell came on as a substitute on the 66th minute, scoring Harry Kewell first goal for Galatasaray just 20 seconds later with Harry Kewell first touch in the 2–1 win over Kayserispor, while also providing the assist for the second goal. Harry Kewell second goal for the club came in the first league game of the season against Denizlispor, where Galatasaray won 4–1. On 23 October 2008, Kewell scored the only goal in Galatasaray's UEFA Cup win over Olympiacos F.C.. A week later Kewell played in Galatasaray's first Turkish Cup match where they drew 1–1 with Ankaraspor.

On 2 November 2008, Kewell scored Harry Kewell fourth league goal in Galatasaray's home win over Gaziantepspor, after a week full of overwhelming speculations in the Turkish media about Harry Kewell injury. Following medical consultations in Australia, it was announced on 12 December 2008 that Kewell would need surgery to repair an inguinal hernia, and the operation took place on 15 December 2008. Of the nine games that Kewell had scored in before Harry Kewell injury, Galatasaray had won them all, including 2 UEFA Cup games, 6 league games and a Turkish Super Cup match. bringing the score to 2–1. Galatasaray ended up winning the game and proceeding to the Round of 16.

2009–10 season

In the Galatasaray S.K. season 2009–10 season, Kewell scored 14 goals in 28 matches in all competitions. Harry Kewell netted 9 times in 17 league appearances, playing as the main striker in most matches due to an injured Milan Baroš. In a 2009–10 Turkish Cup play-off Kewell scored in a 2–1 win against Bucaspor on 28 October 2009 to put the side into the group stage phase of the tournament. Finishing on top of their group, Galatasaray were eliminated at the quarter-final stage against Antalyaspor. During the 2009–10 UEFA Europa League Kewell scored Galatasaray's second goal in a 4–1 away win against Israeli club Maccabi Netanya F.C. on 30 July 2009. Kewell would then score in a 5–0 win against Estonia's FC Levadia Tallinn on 20 August 2009. Galatsaray qualified for the group stage phase. On 22 October 2009, Kewell scored in a 4–1 win over FC Dinamo Bucureşti in Istanbul. In the return leg on 5 November 2009 Harry Kewell scored after 22 minutes in a game which resulted in a 3–0 win to Galatasaray. Galatasaray faced Atlético Madrid in the 2009–10 UEFA Europa League knockout phase where they lost 3–2 on aggregate to the eventual champions.

On 15 August 2009, Kewell scored two penalties in a 4–1 home win to Denizlispor. Almost two weeks later on 31 August Harry Kewell scored a goal after 74 minutes in a 2–0 away win to Ankaraspor A.Ş. in Round 4 of the Turkcell Süper Lig. Kewell scored Harry Kewell fourth goal of the campaign in a 4–3 win to Trabzonspor on 18 October. Two weeks later Harry Kewell scored in a 2–0 win to Sivasspor at home on 1 November. By Round 13, Kewell scored Harry Kewell sixth goal of the Turkcell Süper Lig in a 1–1 draw to Manisaspor on 22 November. Two weeks later on 6 December Harry Kewell scored after 56 minutes in a 1–1 draw to İstanbul Büyükşehir Belediyespor (football team). Just five days later in an away game against Antalyaspor, the game was locked at 2–2 until after 67 minutes Kewell broke the deadlock to win the match for Galatasary 3–2 on 11 December. On 19 December, Kewell would score Harry Kewell ninth and final goal for Galatasaray in the 2009–10 season in a 1–0 win to Gençlerbirliği S.K. where Harry Kewell netted on the 77 minute. In January, fellow Socceroo teammate and captain Lucas Neill would join Kewell at Galatasaray after Harry Kewell was transferred from Everton. Under coach Frank Rijkaard, Galatasaray finished third on the 2010–11 Süper Lig table, and qualified for the 2010–11 UEFA Europa League Third qualifying round, where Kewell's contract with Galatasaray expired after the 2009–10 season.

2010–11 season

On 16 July 2010, it was revealed that Kewell had rejected an approach from A-League side Gold Coast United in favour of staying in Europe. Galatasaray offered a new 1 year contract, but it is believed that Kewell preferred a longer contract. On 21 July, the details of Kewell's contract were revealed; Harry Kewell would receive a lump sum fee of €1.8million and a salary of €30,000 per match. It was also revealed that Harry would wear number 99 for the 2010–11 Galatasaray S.K. season. Kewell scored Harry Kewell first goal of the 2010–11 season in a 1–0 win against Gaziantepspor on 14 September 2010. Kewell scored Harry Kewell second goal of the season against Beşiktaş in a 2–1 loss on 29 November, having been down 2–0, Kewell scored for Galatasary after 90 minutes. Kewell opened the scoring after 27 minutes as Galatasary beat Kasımpaşa S.K. 3–0 on 5 December 2010.

On 7 February 2011, Kewell scored Galatasaray's third goal in a 4–2 win against Eskişehirspor, Harry Kewell was substituted off the field after 63 minutes for Milan Baroš who would then score Galatasaray's fourth goal. Following a solid but not sensational season at Galatasaray there had been continual speculation that Kewell could be heading back home to Australia, with the Newcastle Jets reportedly a keen investor. The interest in the Socceroo coincided with Nathan Tinkler buying out the Newcastle, New South Wales club in late 2010. Kewell scored Harry Kewell last goal for Galatasaray in a 3–2 away win against Gençlerbirliği on 15 May 2011. On 19 May 2011, Kewells wife, Sheree Murphy, posted on Twitter that Harry would play Harry Kewell last game for Galatasary against Konyaspor because no contract had been offered to him. Galatasaray finished in eighth spot on the Süper Lig table with 46 points as Kewell scored 5 goals in 20 appearances for the 2010–11 season.

Kewell was a fan favourite amongst Galatasaray supporters; Harry Kewell working discipline and dignified personality were appreciated by Harry Kewell teammates and board members in Galatasaray as well. Harry Kewell was described as fully professional with a charming character, always smiling and dedicated to Harry Kewell family. Harry Kewell nicknames at Galatasaray were Büyücü Harry meaning Harry the Wizard (inspired by Harry Potter) and the Wizard of Oz (Turkish language: Oz Büyücüsü).

2011 transfer speculation

On 4 June 2011, it was reported that both Kewell and Lucas Neill had been offered contracts from newly-promoted Premier League club Queens Park Rangers F.C.. On 5 June, it was revealed by The Sunday Age that Kewell's manager, Bernard Mandic, informed Football Federation Australia that Kewell was considering an offer from Melbourne Victory. Melbourne Victory chairman Anthony Di Pietro and several other directors met Kewell at St Kilda, Victoria restaurant Cafe Di Stasio in a bid to bring Harry Kewell to Melbourne. Kewell's management was understood to have wanted a percentage of any increase in membership and merchandise sales that Kewell would likely to deliver in Melbourne. It was reported that both Sydney FC and Newcastle Jets were also chasing Kewell's signature. On 25 June, it was reported that several clubs were hoping to lure Kewell to Australia and Adelaide United chairman Greg Griffin said that Harry Kewell club would not stand in the FFA's way if a deal - even with fierce rival Melbourne Victory - required an "additional kick". On 28 June, it was reported by Fox Sports (Australia) that Eddie McGuire said Kewell would be officially presented with a Melbourne Victory shirt when the Melbourne side would face Scottish side Celtic F.C. in a friendly at AAMI Park on 13 July, which proved untrue.

On 5 July, it had officially been reported by the Sydney Morning Herald that Harry Kewell would not be playing in the 2011–12 A-League, stating that it was "all about the money". One day later an article was reported on Special Broadcasting Service The World Game website that Harry Kewell's manager, Bernie Mandic, had explained why an innovative proposal to bring the Socceroos star to the A-League failed at the final hurdle and that Mandic claimed that Football Federation Australia's head of corporate affairs and communications, Kyle Patterson, had made Kewell look like a greedy villain by misrepresenting the facts On 7 July, The Australian stated that there had been claims that Melbourne Victory and Sydney FC had signed him. On 9 July, The Courier Mail reported that Football Federation Australia would not bow to the demands of Kewell's manager but were confident that Kewell would be an A-League player by the time the 2011–12 season would begin in October.

On 10 July, the Sydney Morning Herald reported that Kewell proposed that part of the money Harry Kewell received to play in the 2011–12 A-League season would be used to build an academy to nurture talented and disadvantaged youth, having reported that Kewell said Harry Kewell remained uncertain about whether a deal could be reached to play in the A-League next season and was disappointed that Harry Kewell had been portrayed as greedy. The Age reported that despite Kewell's stalled attempt to finish Harry Kewell career in the A-League, Harry Kewell exasperation was "disappointed and even a little bit sad" about what had happened since Harry Kewell showed some interest in returning to Australia to play in the A-League.

On 4 August, 774 ABC Melbourne reported that after patient negotiating with Kewell's agent Bernie Mandic since June 2011, Melbourne Victory had given Kewell an ultimatum to sign by that Thursday or to find somewhere else to play for the 2011–2012 season. Kewell reportedly asked the club for an extension to consider Harry Kewell position when Harry Kewell management had contacted Melbourne Victory on Thursday night, the club granted Kewell and Harry Kewell management three days (until Monday 8 August) to decide whether Harry Kewell would accept the complex deal that would be consequently withdrawn by Melbourne Victory after the deadline.

Melbourne Victory

On 20 August 2011 it was announced Kewell had signed a three year contract with A-League club Melbourne Victory. Melbourne was hyped up with "Kewell Fever" with many hundreds of fans welcoming Harry Kewell at Melbourne Airport and over two thousand fans attending AAMI Park, where Harry Kewell was given Harry Kewell number 22 jersey by chairman Anthony del Pietro. Kewell played Harry Kewell first friendly against Adelaide United on 23 August at Hindmarsh Stadium, coming off at half time. Coach Mehmet Durakovic rated Harry Kewell performance as "phenomenal" and went on to say "Harry's really a professional footballer, and should be ready for the 8th of October".

Kewell made Harry Kewell first appearance in the 2011–12 A-League in a 0-0 draw against Sydney FC on 8 October infront of an attendance of 40,000 at Docklands Stadium. Kewell scored Harry Kewell first goal for the Victory from a penalty against Gold Coast United on Saturday 26 November 2011 at AAMI Park, Melbourne, after teammate Archie Thompson was bought down in the box in the first minute.On 31 December 2011 at Suncorp Stadium in Brisbane, Kewell scored Harry Kewell second goal in the 4th minute from a cracking shot outside of the box. After a slow start to Harry Kewell A league first season, Harry Kewell started to get Harry Kewell talented form back resulting in a few best on ground performances.Harry Kewell fourth goal came from a free kick just outside the box against Gold Coast United in Launceston, Tasmania on 1 February 2012. Unfortuannly Harry Kewell goal wasnt enough to seal the game as Melbourne conceded a late goal in the last minute from Gold Coast's Micheal Thwaite to end in a 1-1 draw. Despite Melbourne poor form, Harry seems to kept Harry Kewell form consistant.

Harry Kewell scored Harry Kewell fifth goal against Central Coast Mariners on the 10th of February from a cracking volley in the box which helped Melbourne get a crucial 2-1 win over the top side. It allowed Melbourne Victory a hope of making the finals with 6 games remaining.
On the 18th of February at Suncorp Stadium Brisbane, Kewell scored two goals to give Melbourne a hope of drawing against Brisbane Roar in a classic 3-2 loss. Harry Kewell was taken of in the 77 minute which resulted in Melbourne Victory having a few less chances of scoring. Harry Kewell has scored 3 goals from 2 matches at Suncorp Stadium.

International career

Kewell became the youngest player to début for the Australia national association football team when Harry Kewell played against Chile on 24 April 1996, aged 17 years and 7 months. In November 1997, Kewell was selected to play for Australia in the country's 1998 FIFA World Cup qualifying game against Iran national football team. At the Azadi Stadium in Tehran, in front of an estimated crowd of 100,000, Kewell scored Harry Kewell first ever goal for Harry Kewell country and gave Australia a 1–0 lead. Iran eventually drew level and the game resulted in a 1–1 draw, which set up a tense return game in Melbourne.

A then-record crowd for a football match in Australia of 85,513 – at the Melbourne Cricket Ground – witnessed the second leg of the World Cup qualifier against Iran, as well as Kewell's second goal. The Socceroos eventually stretched their lead to two goals but Iran fought back and scored two vital away goals to finish the game 2–2 and qualify for the 1998 World Cup in France It was the first time Australia had qualified for the FIFA World Cup since 1974 FIFA World Cup when it was held in West Germany. Kewell was considered instrumental in the Socceroos' defeat of Uruguay, turning the course of the match after Harry Kewell came on as a substitute. Harry Kewell scored the first penalty for Australia in the deciding penalty shoot-out, which they went on to win 4-2.

Kewell scored Australia's second goal in the 79th minute 2006 FIFA World Cup Group F Croatia vs Australia to equal the score at 2–2 and qualify for the Round of 16 for the first time. Australia only needed a draw to qualify for the Round of 16. Harry Kewell was also awarded Man of the Match for Harry Kewell performance, Due to suspected gout, (later diagnosed as septic arthritis — a bacterial infection in the joints of Harry Kewell left foot) Kewell was unable to play against Italy national football team in the 2006 FIFA World Cup knockout stage Italy vs Australia, which Australia lost 1–0 and saw Australia eliminated from the 2006 FIFA World Cup.

2007 Asian Cup

Kewell did not play for the national team for a year following the World Cup, and made Harry Kewell national-team comeback in a friendly match against Singapore on 30 June 2007. The match was Australia's last before the Asian Cup 2007 and Kewell came on as a substitute in the 65th minute; scoring Harry Kewell eighth international goal and providing a cross for the final goal in a 3–0 victory. Kewell was a key part of the Australian squad for the Asian Cup. Kewell scored Harry Kewell 9th international goal for Australia in a 4–0 win over Thailand national football team in the Asian Cup. After the group stage, in the quarter-final against Japan, Kewell was sent on to the pitch to replace Mark Viduka in the 61st minute, in a 1–1 draw. A penalty shootout was required to break the deadlock and Kewell's first penalty shot for Australia was stopped. Australia ultimately lost the shootout and were eliminated from the Asian Cup.

2010 World Cup


Kewell did not play either of Australia's first two matches against Qatar national football team and China national football team. Kewell was made captain for Australia's qualifier against Iraq national football team at Suncorp Stadium on 1 June 2008. Harry Kewell scored the only goal with a header in the 47th minute as Australia won 1–0. Kewell also scored the third goal against Qatar in Australia's 3–1 win to put them into the final qualification round. In a World Cup qualifier warm up game against the Netherlands national football team, Harry Kewell scored a penalty won by Joshua Kennedy. Australia went on to win 2–1 with Kewell playing a vital part for the national team in the first half.


Kewell did not play in Australia's opening game of the 2010 FIFA World Cup in South Africa, a 4–0 loss to Germany national football team. After the loss, Kewell said that the morale of the team remained high, ahead of a clash against Ghana national football team. During the game against Ghana on 19 June, Kewell was sent off for blocking a goal by handling the ball. Standing on the goal line, Kewell attempted to block the ball from entering the goal net with Harry Kewell chest, however the ball ricocheted off Harry Kewell arm; Harry Kewell received a straight red card for the offence on the 24 minute. Asamoah Gyan went on to score the resulting penalty and the game was drawn 1–1, severely damaging Australia's hopes of progressing past the group stage. This was the 150th red card issued in a World Cup game. Kewell denied rumours that Harry Kewell was behind a supposed rift in the Socceroos camp. After the game Kewell said that Harry Kewell was devastated by the decision made by referee Roberto Rosetti and felt that the red card "killed" Harry Kewell World Cup dream.

2011 Asian Cup

Harry Kewell started in all of the Socceroos' matches in the 2011 AFC Asian Cup, and scored three times for the green and gold in the Qatar-based tournament. Harry Kewell first goal came in Australia's first match, against India national football team, with a left footed shot from outside the penalty area. Kewell's second goal came in Australia's quarter-final match against Iraq with a header in the 118th minute in extra-time, which gave Australia a 1–0 win and put them into the semi-finals of the Asian Cup for the first time in Australia's history. Kewell continued Harry Kewell fine form in the semi-final against Uzbekistan by opening the scoring in the first 5 minutes, helping Harry Kewell side to a 6–0 win and progress to the 2011 AFC Asian Cup Final, where they were beaten 1–0 by Japan.

Personal life

Kewell is married to English soap actress Sheree Murphy, whom Harry Kewell met at the Majestyk nightclub in Leeds in 2000. The couple married in Las Vegas, Nevada on 24 May 2002 and have three children, son Taylor (born 2001) and daughters Ruby (born 2003) and Matilda (born 2008). On 22 July 2011, it had been reported that Kewell and Harry Kewell wife are expecting their fourth child.

The family currently live in Melbourne, Australia, where Kewell is playing for the Melbourne Victory.

As of May 2008, Kewell has become the face of Australian men's fashion brand, Politix. Harry Kewell advocated the introduction of Western Sydney A-League expansion team Sydney Rovers FC, having grown up in Smithfield, New South Wales in Sydney's west. Harry Kewell is also a supporter of the Canterbury Bulldogs rugby league team.

Long time manager of Kewell is Bernie Mandic who has had a successful partnership in securing Kewell's lucrative and long term contracts with high profile clubs. The Daily Telegraph (Australia) in Sydney reported that Mandic went on the defensive in August 2010 over media reports on Kewell's ability and commitment to the Australian national team at the 2010 World Cup in South Africa.


© The Global Football Database ( 2004-2011. All rights reserved. Arco Iris Media Aps. Akvarie Forum